Monday, March 20, 2006

The joys of parenthood

Baby Star has been sleeping by himself all night for two weeks now.

I am now getting more than five hours consecutive sleep for the first time since 2001.

So last night, after enjoying a lovely cup of cocoa, and watching an hour of the even-lovelier McDreamy I snuggled under the flannel sheets and comforter (spring? where?) for a lovely trip to dreamland.


All you moms know where this is going ....

1:40 I'm awakened from the perfect deep sleep and in an instant realize Daddy Star is snoring and Baby Star is crying. Pick baby up. Diaper's fine. Baby's not too cold. Pop the binky back in, tell him "night-night time", and head to the couch. Plan to give him half an hour to fall back asleep then sneak into bed.

3:40 Wake up hanging half off of the couch, blanket twisted around my knees. Head to the bedroom, quietly open the door and peek head in. Baby is squirming and making those restless baby sighs. Head back to couch.

5:15 Boy Star yelling for Daddy. I go into his room. "My covers fell off." Somehow his arms magically break every night. Back to couch.

5:25 Daddy Star comes out of bedroom. "Baby's crying." I head back to bed, picking baby up to nurse. Boy Star screaming for Mommy now, "I have to pee."

Daddy Star gets Boy back to bed. Baby nurses until he's drowsy. We fall back asleep for an hour.

Starbucks will never go out of business as long as I have small children.

1 Comments:

Blogger kaliroz said...

Ah, Starbucks.

I never thought I'd be thankful for a big corporation. But their lattes have kept me going the last year.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home